How to Plan the Perfect Road Trip
Summer was made for road trips. The warm late-night air, the spontaneity that comes with never really knowing the day of the week — it’s these little things that make for a perfect vacation on the road to nowhere. Even if summertime doesn’t necessarily get you some predetermined time off (a.k.a. you work a typical 9-to-5 desk job), there’s something about the warm weather that makes it so much easier to take the weekend trip somewhere unknown.
But before you spontaneously hop on Route 66, there’s a few things you should do to make sure your drive is safe and enjoyable instead of disastrously unprepared-for. Use this checklist to make sure everything is A-Okay before you take the wheel.
What to Do
- Stock up on music or podcasts — you’re sure to hit an area without service somewhere.
- Let your car insurance know you’ll be traveling.
- Have your oil, tires and battery checked.
- Create a loose plan.
- Let a friend or family member know where you’re headed, and be sure to update them along the way if you make any changes.
- Do some basic research on the areas in which you’re stopping.
What to Pack
- Car jack
- Spare tire
- Roadside emergency kit
- Extra set of keys
- Duct tape
- Dry snacks
- Phone charger
- Maps (don’t rely on internet data!)
- Garbage bag
- First Aid kit
- Insect repellent
- Copies of official documents
- Extra blankets (it’s summer, but you never know)
- Travel mug and cup (let’s avoid the daily plastic soda cups, yeah?)
- Hand sanitizer
- Anti-inflammatory medication
- Reusable shopping bag
- Flip flops (for those quick trips from the motel room or tent to the car)
- Hairbrush and hair ties
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Other toiletries
- Clothes that are easy to layer
Travel Tips for Upcoming Vacations in 2022
Apr 29, 2022
Extreme Adventure Vacations for Adrenaline Junkies
Mar 10, 2022
2021 Holiday Gift Guide: The Adventure Edition
Nov 22, 2021
6 Haunted Places to Explore
Oct 29, 2021
Hawaii Surf Spots Fit For Pros
Sep 30, 2021
9 Songs For Summer '21
Aug 02, 2021